Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: Mio Padre, il Tumore by Steve Lowe

Mio Padre, il Tumore

Summary:
Four tales of Bizarro oddity and psychological horror…

Born of radiation exposure on the set of The Conqueror, the worst film ever made, the stomach tumor that killed John Wayne lived on. It found a home in a new body and became Lucchesi, Northern Italy’s top bomb technician, a man loved by women and despised by men in equal measure. After an attempt on his life and years spent in hiding, Lucchesi must return to America to protect his only son, Vincenzo, from the shadows of his past, and to uncover the explosive secret hidden inside the World’s Largest Egg.

Just To Spite Your Face

Mickey Pringles and the Boy

Jumpers

Review:
Mio Padre, il Tumore take up the bulk of the quartet of stories. Each of them are independent of each other but share the same surreal approach to storytelling. If you can jump on board the sentient tumor train, you are on the railway of bizarro fiction. I love the genre. I look forward to reading any and all stories of this type.
I enjoyed Lowe's writing. He gives the reader a wonder sense of atmosphere. He writes in beautiful detail and imagery. It is a an awesome read. The stories are interesting and well done. I have one thing negative to say and that is Lowe will spoon feed his readers too much detail in order for us to all be on the same page as to how things work in the universe the author created. I caught myself thinking, "Yes, I get it. The body is an avatar."
I liked all four stories. The first being the longest of the four but if I had to choose, Just to Spite Your Face, would be my favorite. Now that one is really out there and that's exactly where I want this author to take me.

http://steve-lowe.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment