Monday, March 5, 2012

Review - A Higher Court by John Betcher @JohnBetcher

A Higher Court: One Man's Search for the Truth of God's Existence by John Betcher

The author offers this synopsis of the book:

My name is William Kensey. I have a wife and two great kids. Until very recently, I was a well-respected and financially successful trial attorney. I was also a man who was comfortable with his religion. I preferred it served at arm's length from the pulpit on Sunday morning. And would rather not discuss it the rest of the week. The circumstances that led me to write A HIGHER COURT changed all that. The entire experience was both bizarre and unavoidable. You see, I was summoned to serve as a juror in an improbable trial -- a trial to determine whether God exists. I know. You think that sounds ludicrous. I did, too . . . until the trial began. Witnesses buried me under mountains of scientific evidence. My own eyes forced me to confront the reality of extreme human suffering. God seemed less and less relevant -- even absent -- as the trial progressed. At the close of the trial, I had to render my verdict -- "God" or "No God." Affirm a new and deeper faith in a Creator, or confess the triumph of science. A HIGHER COURT is the story of how I discovered the ultimate truth. I invite you to join me in this revelation. You won't be sorry.

This book had me from the start and I was locked in until the end. I felt it was too short to fully convey all the arguments. Many arguments are presented from both sides of the argument of is there a God but I feel that they were presented in a shorten form. I had hoped for an in depth analysis but I got a lot of summary of the basics. Betcher leaves it to the reader to research further into any of the presented arguments. That's not a bad thing.
I think Betcher did an excellent job in story telling. The trial is balanced as well as the characters who play the jury. They are not all believers and not all the believers are zealots. They all had little quirks about them to keep me interested for the entire court drama.
Betcher answers all the questions the court set out to answer and leaves a twist to the story that no one will be expecting. It's a great fast paced read.



And feel free to share this post via your social network of choice. Let's help these authors get the word out to other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment